1. We are founded on Christian principles, while being inclusive of all faith communities and those of no faith.
2. We believe in the value of advocating for affordable housing for all people.
3. We believe in the value of successfully partnering with families in need, volunteers, businesses, government entities, faith-based and other organizations.
4. We believe that quality, affordable housing contributes to the strength of families, neighborhoods and the greater community.
5. We are dedicated to the building of simple, decent, safe and energy efficient homes which we sell at no profit with a no interest mortgage.
6. We respect the values, privacy and diversity of our partner families.
7. We believe in the value of providing homeownership education to our partner families.
More than Houses
Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity seeks to build lives as well as houses. Through the houses we build, hope is restored and lives are changed as the cycle of need is broken.
How we build is just as important as what we build. Habitat houses are built with a contribution of five hundred hours of “sweat equity”, labor on the part of the Partner Families.
By investing themselves in the building process, Partner Families gain self-reliance, self-esteem and new skills.
By investing time, money, materials, and their expertise, Habitat volunteers, donors, organizations, businesses and professional trades gain new relationships, which extend far beyond the immediate impact. Habitat brings together people from all walks of life, with varied skills and economic backgrounds to achieve a common goal of service to others.
Selected families who are successful in completing the requirements will receive a no-interest mortgage on a house built to accommodate their family size and budget.
The sales of Habitat houses to Partner Families is structured to give Habitat a First Right of Refusal to buy, this assures continued affordability of these homes beyond the first owner. The down payments and monthly mortgage payments are reinvested and used to build more houses through a revolving fund. In this way, we can ensure that Habitat homes will continue to meet the need for affordable housing in the Greater Albuquerque area.