Vehicles gain new life by helping build Habitat for Habitat homes Year-end tips for donating tax-deductible used vehicles to a worthy cause.
Vehicles that may not mean a lot to you can make a difference in the lives of families in need by donating them to Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes™ program.
Donated cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RVs and other vehicles are sold and the funds raised help build simple, decent homes in partnership with low-income families. Donors receive an acknowledgement letter for their vehicle donation they may use for tax purposes if they itemize deductions. Vehicle, title and contact information is collected, and upon acceptance of the vehicle, arrangements are made for the vehicle, keys and title to be picked up.
The Cars for Homes™ program provides a great opportunity to donate a vehicle as an additional way to help families in your community who are living in substandard conditions and simply need a hand up, not a hand out, said Barry Kurland, general manager of Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes™ program.
Your car donation can help Habitat build homes in partnership with families in need of decent, affordable shelter. Donate a car, truck, boat, RV or other vehicle to Habitat’s Cars for Homes vehicle donation program by calling 1-877-277-4344 toll free or visiting www.carsforhomes.org. All proceeds support our Youth leadership Program as part of their fundraising to build one home per year in Albuquerque. For more info click on Youth United to the left.
Tips for donating a vehicle
- Make sure the nonprofit organization is reputable by being familiar with its purpose and work in the community. Check with the local Better Business Bureau or similar organization to see if the nonprofit is in good standing.
- Inquire what percent of the vehicle’s sales go directly to the nonprofit organization. Habitat for Humanity receives between 70 and 85 percent of the total donation (after towing fees, etc.).
- Make sure the tower is licensed and insured and the donated vehicle will be sold through a licensed dealer.
- Sign the vehicle’s title directly to the nonprofit organization or their certified agent.
- Ask the nonprofit organization how funds from the donated vehicle will be used.