The Legacy Society honors and recognizes individuals and families who have established a Planned Gift benefiting Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity (GAHH). The purpose of the Legacy Society is to recognize those individuals and families who have remembered GAHH in their estate plans through a documented planned gift. The Society serves to enable members, friends and family to witness the building of communities one home, one family at a time by making it possible for low-income families to own simple, decent, affordable and energy efficient homes.
Gifts to the Legacy Society are acts of hope for the future of our Habitat Families. Through God’s grace and your generosity, GAHH Will be well equipped to serve our community in generations to come – ensuring that no one in the Greater Albuquerque area will live in substandard housing.
The Benefits & Rewards
- Each year, names of new members of the Legacy Society will be added to a plaque displayed in the entrance of the GAHH administrative office
- Members will be honored at an annual event
- Members will be invited to special events
Forms of Planned Giving
- Bequest in a Will
- The easiest and most common way of making a planned gift is through a bequest in your will. You can designate a specific amount of money, a percentage of your estate, or a specific asset. GAHH could also be named as a contingent beneficiary.
- Gift of Real Estate
- You can deed your home, vacation property or condominium to GAHH and retain the right to live in the property and/or receive income from the property for as long as you or your beneficiaries live. A life estate gift reduces capital gains, inheritance and estate taxes and offers an income tax deduction as well.
- Life Insurance
- Life insurance can be used to make a sizeable gift to GAHH. For example, you can purchase a new policy and make GAHH the owner and beneficiary of the policy. You can also make GAHH the owner and beneficiary of an existing policy you no longer need. Or, you can name GAHH as a contingent beneficiary on an existing policy. Your life insurance could “endow” your annual pledge to GAHH.
- Life Income Gifts
- Gifts such as a charitable gift annuity, a charitable remainder trust, or a pooled income fund provide you and/or your designated beneficiary income for life. Upon your passing, GAHH receives the gift. Life income gifts generally reduce or eliminate certain taxes and guarantee an income for life.
- Retirement Plans
- You can name GAHH as a beneficiary of your pension, 401k, 403b, IRA or other retirement plan. This gift could be the most cost-effective that you could make, because you avoid the possible double taxation on retirement plan assets left to your heirs.
For more information on Planned Giving and the Legacy Society please email the Resource Development Director or call 505-265-0057.